Mmmmm...comfort food. Serve it at your next party, it's delicious and is especially a hit with the kids!
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
• 1/2 small onion, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, chopped
• 2 cans (14 ounces) chicken or vegetable broth or stock
• 2 cups orzo pasta (enriched rice may be substituted)
• 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano or Romano
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat an 8-inch pot with a tight-fitting cover over moderate heat. Add oil, onion, and garlic and saute for 2 or 3 minutes. Add broth to the pan and bring to a boil. Stir in orzo and return broth to a boil. Cover pot and reduce heat to simmer. Cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until liquid is absorbed and pasta tender. Remove lid and stir in cheese. Season with salt and pepper to your taste. Your favourite fresh herbs may also be stirred into the orzo or rice to strengthen the flavor.
♥ Vesna ♥