The glittery glove Michael Jackson wore for his "moonwalk" during the Motown 25 television special, sold for $350,000 only months after the singer passed in 2009. Now Michael's famous "Thriller" jacket is up for auction and is expected to sell for at least $200,000 - $400,000. Darren Julien, president of Julien’s Auctions, tells CNN, “It is truly the most iconic piece of pop culture history. You see the jacket and you know what it [is] immediately and who it belonged to.” Julien’s Auctions calls the red and black calf leather jacket with winged shoulders one of the most recognizable and famous garments of the 20th century, an item that “sparked a 1980s fashion craze like none other.”
Now, you may not be able to own Michael's legendary jacket, but maybe you can find something in your closet that's similar. And maybe, you can invite some friends over, who also found similar clothing. And maybe you can serve some food and drinks. And maybe you can call this a party to honour the King of Pop - a Michael Jackson Tribute Party!
- Send out invitations with a still of Michael Jackson doing his signature moonwalk move. You can also send out invitations in the shape of a fedora or glittery glove, or a red and black jacket that opens and reveals the details of the party. Make sure to let your guests know to dress like Michael, or in 1980's attire.
- Start by decorating with MJ's favourite colours: red and black. Hang red and black balloons and streamers. Sprinkle star-shaped confetti on tables in these colours.
- Drape red and black blankets over sofas and love seats.
- Set up a chair (preferrably a wing-back chair), as a throne for the King of Pop. Make sure it's quite comfortable and covered in red velvet with a soft fluffy pillow. Have your guests take turns sitting there. You can even do a contest for best-dressed, and whoever wins, gets to sit in the throne for the rest of the night.
- Hang Michael Jackson posters and/or photographs up in the party room.
- Display album/tape/or CD covers on a table.
- Hang black and white fedoras and glittery gloves on walls and on tables.
Dress the Part
- You can either raid your closet or purchase a costume. There are a number of items you can try and get your hands on - a red leather jacket, a gold-plated military-style jacket, a glittery jacket, a white t-shirt with black tight pants (short pants that fall around the ankle - a.k.a. floods), suspenders, black penny logan mocs, sequin baggy socks, a glittery glove, Ray-Bans, and MJ's favourite accessory, a black fedora.
- Don't feel tied to the Michael look if you can't get a hold of the clothing. Go for '80's attire and be a MJ fan instead. Wear a leather or jean jacket, neon, off-the-shoulder shirt, rolled sleeves, sleeveless shirt, long shirt, crop top, tight stone-washed jeans, 3/4 length leggings, leg warmers, scrunch socks, exercise gear, super-tight mini, coloured pantyhose with rips, spandex, parachute pants, lace top, lace skirt, lace gloves, high-top shoes, and stiletto heels. Don't forget to include, piercings, hoop earrings, safety pins, big hair bows, brimmed hats, bright make-up (especially blue eyeshadow), black eyeliner for women and men, mascara, coloured glitter, feathered hair, super-teased hair, side ponytails, platinum blonde hair colour, stick-up bangs, mohawk, long hair, frizzy with bangs, layered, slightly teased, and curly.
- If you want, you can provide your guests with some of Michael's signature items. Purchase some inexpensive silver glittery gloves, black fedoras, Ray-Ban-style sunglasses, and sequin baggy socks - hand them to guests as they come in.
- Serve some of Michael Jackson's favourite foods. For an entree choose Mexican, exotic, spicy & vegetarian, sushi, pizza, chicken, or fish. For snacks and desserts choose glazed doughnuts, sunflower seeds, vanilla icecream with cookie pieces, popcorn, M&M's, and fresh fruits.
- Serve Michael Jackson cake, cupcakes, and cookies. Have them shaped like his glove, fedora, shoes, jacket, his silhouette, song titles, etc.
- Serve Michael's favourite drinks: mineral water (Evian, Perrier), fruit juice (orange), vegetable juice (carrot), Gatorade (during concerts)
- Have other drinks on hand as well - both alcoholic and non.
- Play Michael Jackson's albums, of course, but you can also play music from some of his favourite artists. James Brown, Jackie Wilson, Smokey Robinson, Sammy Davis Junior, The Temptations, Diana Ross, to name a few.
- In the background, have some of MJ's favourite movies, TV shows, and his own features, playing on a laptop with low volume. ET, Star Wars, Peter Pan are his top 3 movies. The movies he was featured in were: The Wiz, Captain EO, Moonwalker, Michael Jackson's Ghosts, Men in Black, Miss Cast Away and the Island Girls, Michael Jackson's This Is It. His favourite television shows are The Flip Wilson Show, The Brady Bunch, The Road Runner Show, and The Simpsons.
- Michael Jackson Trivia - Ask a variety of questions regarding Michael's music, film, relationships, and other personal facts. The person who guesses the most correct answers wins a prize. Make the prize a Michael Jackson CD, poster, book, music video DVD, etc.
- Guess that MJ Song - Play the first 5 to 10 seconds of an MJ song. Whoever guesses the most correct answers wins a prize.
- Monopoly - This was Michael's favourite boardgame, a classic that's always fun to play.
- Have a Michael Jackson concert. Set up a mock stage and learn some of his dance moves. You can either lip-sync or sing the songs yourself. Tell your guests to join in the fun - make it MJ karaoke!
- Collect money for charity. Michael donated tens of millions of dollars to animal and children's charities. Have a money box/jar set up so your guests can contribute some money to a children's charity or hospital, or an animal charity.
* Michael Jackson facts provided by: www.freewebs.com